Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Prologue - Part 3

By the time Colin had actually gotten himself ready, it was well past nine o’clock. You would think it would take a boy less than an hour to get ready when he’s just off to see his boyfriend wouldn’t you? Yet somehow Colin manages to stretch the process out for no apparent reason. I couldn’t help but wonder about the lateness of his visit to Xander’s house though, so I felt the need to ask the question.

“Booty call or date?”

Colin just laughed. “Does it matter? Either way I’m getting laid?”

And with a cheeky grin Colin bounced out the door, leaving the house rather quiet. That’s the only problem with having housemates like Colin and Travis, they bring a lot of life to the house.

The downside to this is the life often comes with noise...whether it’s the Xbox or that repetitive banging against a wall or even just loud drunken phone conversations, my weekends often don’t involve a lot of sleep.

I walked through the lounge room, around the now clean armchair, and my gigantic brown leather couch which looked so dull compared to the rest of the room, yet I’ve been told is the comfiest couch to sleep on this side of the Equator, so I feel the colour co-ordination can suffer in lieu of comfort.

The other thing I love about my apartment, is the window. From the lounge room you can look out on Commercial Road. The tram line, Prahran market, if you squint you can even see all the clubs in the distance. You have no idea how much such a view costs, since every fag and his dog wants to live on Commercial Rd. It’s not the world’s busiest street, nor is it the biggest or brightest, but so much happens on that small stretch of road. Not all of it is important, most of it is really quite funny, especially because it’s happening to other people. But for quite a lot of the gay population of Melbourne...their lives revolve around Commercial Road.

After a noisy tram rattles past, I decided that I should try to end up comatosed before one of the boys gets home. I headed to my bedroom, gave the room one quick scan to make sure everything was clean and switched off, then I turn off the light and go to sleep...

3 comments:

Dale said...

I'm really enjoying your writing so far... So don't screw it up. :P Your 'voice' is interesting, likeable, relatable - all the good things you want in a voice really. People actually have dust-fights? I thought they were imaginary like lingerie pillow fights at girls slumber parties! I've been missing out. :)
Dale.

Luke! said...

Yes, I have to agree with Dale. You're story writing is very likeable, and the story itself seems very close to home... Would it be prudent of me to suggest, this is your ideal living situation? It sounds almost like you want to live in Tom's apartment. I mean, it's almost the description of it. Except the location, and clearly the size. But when I'm reading it, I'm picturing you and Tom, and some other random.
That starts with S, who you have a clear infatuation with.

Andew said...

Haha I don't know if people have dust fights...if they don't...they should.

And Luke...I'm not picturing my ideal living situation...but now you mention it it does work...except the Colin is so more me...and the yet-to-be-named dude is so too mature for Tom..