Friday, January 23, 2009

Psychic Schoolkids Pt13

Before I could even get back on my feet I was lifted off the ground and sent slamming across the locker bay again. My ears rang from the impact, but this time I was facing the entrance. Chris stood there, his eyes wide with excitement, and next to him stood Nathan and Matt. Nathan was filled with the same hyperactive emotions as Chris, a mix of excitment and fear and anger. Matt seemed just...afraid. Of getting caught, of something going wrong. None of the excitement that the others felt but equally as strong.

"You look a bit beat up Jacob." Chris said, stepping towards me.

I raised my hands as fists in a vague attempt at self defence. Behind Chris, Nathan waved a hand and my wrists were pinned to the locker behind me. Chris wasn't the only one who had gotten a power in the last few months.

"But I suppose you always had to poke around, and you always had to get hurt because of it. And here you are, wandering onto a crime scene and sticking your nose out were it doesn't belong. Do that too much and your nose will get broken." Chris pressed his hand against my chest.

I screamed. I'm man enough to admit that I screamed. Because when Chris touched me, my nose broke. It's not a pleasant experience, and definitely not one I would reccommend to anyon else, and however Chris was doing it, I'm sure he was making it as painfully as he could.

"So you see you guys thought you were cool. With Chloe seeing the future and Dane messing with people's heads, and even Lisa being able to heal people. That was helpful, since she tried to put my head back together all nice and pretty like. But...and here's the bit that works for me...and not so much for you. She missed a spot. Somewhere along the way I got a power too. And like all good laws of opposites...Lisa can heal any wound." Pain shot through my body...I looked at my wrists and saw cuts beginning to appear along them. "And I can make any wound."

"They're coming." Nathan shouted from across the room.

"I'm busy here Nate." Chris said, taking his hands off me for a moment. "Making a perfect murder/suicide scene requires a bit of finesse. Get Matt to hold them off for bit so I can have some peace."

"Why...did you?" I tried to make out through the pain.

"Why what? Did I kill Neil? Am I killing you?" Chris said, pacing in front of me. "Well it's a long story...but you were there for all the bits that involved you. And Neil here...he was a bit too special to hang around. I mean didn't you hear? The shaman wants blood."

"That's so lame." Came a voice from across the locker room. Chris and I turned to see Chloe and Emily standing there.

"Oh god." Chris said. "Matt! Can't you do anything right!!"

"I'm a bit busy here." Matt shouted from the edge of the locker bay.

"Yes well we have company and it would be rude to leave them here with nothing to do." Chris shouted back.

"I'll play with our guests." Nathan walked over so that he was facing Chloe. I felt the pressure on my wrists relax. "Chloe...long time no see. I like the new look."

Chloe was terrified, and not very good at hiding it either. I think because she saw what was coming. Nathan waved an arm and she was flung out of my line of sight.

"Now forgive me if I don't know you name yet." Chris said, as he advanced towards Emily. "It's just that this is a very tense time and introductions take so long."

He reached out to touch Emily, and she reacted by grabbing his arm. The air around it wavered a bit and then froze. Emily withdrew her hand as Chris' arm sagged until the weight of the ice.

"I'm Emily. Nice to meet you though." She smiled and pushed Chris to the side. As he fell he smacked his head against a locker, which disoriented him for long enough for Emily to get to me. I was able to move again, but for some reason I was finding it hard to do so. In fact, even looking around made me kinda woozy. I took a step forward and almost fell.

"Okay Jacob. No walking for you without some help. Which is a pity, because I think we need to be running before we get our collective asses kicked." Emily started to walk me away.

"They're through!" Matt yelled as he ran through the locker bay to the exit that Chloe and Emily had come through. Who 'they' were I never got to find out, as Emily and I stumbled outside and quickly moved to behind a building. I never saw what happened to Nathan and Matt, but Chris was left slumped on the ground with a very wet arm near Neil's body.

"Oh god! Jacob!" Chloe said, utterly panicked at my state. Which wasn't suprising as I looked down at my arms which were now covered by bloody. That explained the woozy.

"Okay we need to get Jacob somewhere safe. Like your house Chloe. And we need to call Lisa." Emily was oddly taking charge. The confidence she had when she had yelled at Lisa was back.

The words began to get a bit woozy, but I felt another person arrive who was just as scared and panicked as Chloe was. Dane. I took a second to wonder where he had been during the fight, and whether Lisa would actually stop me from dying...and nefore I was able to finish the thought...I embraced what was becoming a habit and passed out...

1 comment:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

I really liked the twist about Chris being able to inflict wounds - in particular how it was tied into Lisa's healing ability as opposed to just having that ability by random. Woo!