Thursday, January 8, 2009

Psychic Schoolkids pt9 - Dreams

4 months earlier

Things had changed.

They hadn't entirely changed for the bad, but our little group of four nerdy guys had transformed into this big group. There were girls, and there were couples, and there was Dane.

Dane's addition to our group was met with mixed emotions. The psychics - myself, Chloe and Lisa - were happy to have another one of us in our midst. The rest of the group, particularly Chris and Nathan, were less that happy about Dane hanging out with us.

"I don't know why Jacob, but he gives me the creeps." Chris said to me.

We were sitting on the back lawn of Chloe's house. Her parents had gone away and in high school tradition there was a party. Or as we had called it to our slightly naive parents, a "sleepover". This gave not only the impression that the girls would be pillowfighting in their underwear, but also that there would be no booze or adult content. Our poor parents.

"I know that vibe too. But the guy needs some friends." I tried to stick up for Dane, but found it a little bit hard. Although a guy with powers was fun, Dane and I had very little in common apart from that.

"Why do those friends have to be us? I mean I know Chloe and Lisa think he's the new black, but the guy's a total loser, and he looks at me weird. And people always seem to act weirdly after they've spent some time with him. Like Kara was totally against him at first, and then after a couple of minutes with him she decided she was neutral on the subject."

Great, that had the smell of Dane using his power all over it. I made a mental note to slap him across the back of the head when I got back inside.

"Okay I agree, that's odd. But I mean, Chloe's not exactly normal either, nor am I for that matter."

"Yeah but you guys are just good at reading people. I mean we're all so predictable to Chloe she knows what we're about to say half the time, but you know Kara, she's stubborn as anything. Like remember when her and I went on a double date with Natahn and Chloe? Twenty minutes to pick a movie just cuz Kara wouldn't budge, and I'd imagine she's just as bad when it comes to people."

"I think you're over-reacting." I tried to appear rational and not angry. "I mean you can just avoid the guy if he creeps you out."

"I try but he's always hanging out with us these days. I don't know why you and Chloe even started talking to him anyway. Pity is best reserved for getting people laid on new years."

"We...had our reason. Chloe seemed to think he was cool, and as you said, she's good at telling what people are gonna do."

"Well let's hope she knows what Dane's gonna do. I hope he doesn't go stalker on us all...or worse. Serial killer. I don't think Kara would still want to date me if I was in bite size pieces."

"Boys. You're sitting out here all alone." Kara said as she walked out the door accompanied by Chloe. The pair of them plopped down on the grass next to us.

"And without a drink!" Chloe handed us both beers.

"So how's my boy doing tonight?" Kara rubbed a hand up Chris' arm. "Apart from being cold! You're not gonna get any hugs tonight unless you warm up."

"I thought you would help warm me up..." Chris said, leaning in to start making out with Kara.

Chloe and I briefly gave each other a look. "And on that note I think I see something inside we should look at."

"Yes." I agreed. "Like a blank wall that is in no way sickeningly coupley."

"Don't let us keep you." Chris said as he came up for air.

"Oh trust me you won't." Chloe said. "Just don't go screwing on my lawn."

Chloe and I walked inside.

"Nathan has gone to bed." Chloe said to me as we walked inside. "He's so weak. Reckons he had a bad night's sleep last night. He was home all night!"

"Well you did decide to date the laziest boy on the planet, I don't know what you expected there." I shrugged and smiled.

"Don't push it boyo, or I'll get all depressed and make you have to feel it all."

"Oh I'm threatened." I said in my best impressed/scared voice. "Besides, it's probably better he's gone to bed, with Matt gone and the wonder couple distracted outside, that just leaves us four psychics to have some fun."

"That was the reason for this get together. And yes, I have the book!"

We walked into the lounge room where Lisa and Dane had been chatting.

"I'm still not sure about this." She said to us as we walked in. "It seems very...devil-worshippy. I'm pretty sure God frowns upon it."

"God frowns upon reading minds and seeing the future, so Jacob and I are already screwed there. Might as well push the envelope a bit.."

"Umm..what exactly are we doing?" Dane said.

"Jacob, you explain, you'll actually let them ask the questions. I'll go get some stuff." Chloe bounded upstairs.

"Okay, well Chloe has been reading. Stop and marvel at the concept for a second."

"I head that!" Chloe yelled from behind me as she walked away.

"She's been reading about dreams, and how people can see the future in their dreams."

"Can't Chloe already see the future though? Isn't that the point?" Dane asked.

"She can only see a few seconds in. It's enough to help her out short term...but doesn't give us a lot in the long term."

"Which is exactly how it's supposed to be. Noone should have the power to see that far." Lisa interjected.

"Her theory is we try this...meditation thing. It's supposed to help clear her mind and let her see further, and at the same time it should help clear our minds too and...boost our powers a little." I explained, ignoring Lisa as best I could.

"Umm...I'm pretty sure I can heal anything right now, so why am I here?" Lisa yawned and sat back on the couch.

"Because it's supposed to work better with four people, and I figure for the first time at least, we want to be as efficient as possible." Chloe returned into the room with a CD, a piece and a candle.

"Okay I have meditative music...a point of focus." She lit the candle and put it on the floor. "And a circle." She drew a big circle on the floor with the chalk.

"Do I really have to stay up for this or can I go to bed? I'm tired." Lisa said.

"I'm pretty wiped too. And...staring at a candle doesn't seem like fun." Dane said.

I looked at Chloe, she gave me a look too.

"Fine. Go. Be boring. Just don't interrupt us and keep the wonder couple away." Chloe fumed. "I think we can make this work as a pairs thing. Unless you wanna flake on me too?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world. Plus the more we can find out about...certain people....the better I think."

Chloe looked at the closed door then moved in to whisper. "You mean Dane?"...she then paused for a few seconds, meaning I didn't have to reply. "I agree. Nice, but creepy. Even the power is a bit creepy."

"Plus I think he's using it...on us even."

"Lisa and Kara have been a lot friendlier to him lately...like their annoyance at him is blocked off...it'd make sense."

"Exactly. So let's do this and find out what's in store."

A few minutes later the music was playing, soft waterfall sounds were filling the room, and the only light in the room came from our tiny candle. It was almost romantic. I even felt Chloe feeling the same way, which was re-assuring in a weird kind of way.

"Okay so the theory is...we link hands, focus on the sound and the candle...and..listen to what's going on in our heads. In your case pay attention to feelings...both yours and everyone's around...and for me whatever's about to happen. Then once we've meditated...we sleep, and that's when our powers awaken a bit..."

"Are you sure about this?" I checked one last time.

"Well it's from a Wiccan book. There isn't exactly a lot in any library on psychics like us so I had to adapt it a bit...but the theory is sound. Now shush, hold my hands like a big boy and we'll get started."

We sat down inside the chalk circle and held hands. I could feel Chloe focus on the flame and everything else inside her...and I tried to do the same. The problem was that I as I tried to focus on what Chloe was feeling, I ended up just focusing on other aspects of Chloe. So I changed my focus so try and feel what the other residents of the house were feeling. Unfortunately, there was this strong sexual tension coming from outside which was even more distracting.

So I sat there like a good little boy, totally unable to focus on anything but knowing that Chloe's mind was completely tuned in to what was going on. I also wondered why I had to be there, or whether Chloe had just wanted someone else there for company so she didn't feel awkward sitting in a dark room staring at a candle. Again, definitely not the calm, meditative thoughts I was supposed to be feeling.

About fifteen minutes later, which is an enternity in candle-staring time...the music stopped and Chloe snapped out of her trance.

"Okay bedtime! Just let me clean up the chalk."

Since Nathan had taken Chloe's bed, and Kara and Chris were sharing Chloe's parents' bed on the condition they didn't have sex in it, that left Dane, Lisa, Chloe and myself on the lounge room floor on various mattresses and sleeping bags. I was in between Chloe and Dane, with the slim frame of Chloe on one side contrasting with the warm bulk of Dane. I felt a bit less angry at Dane for messing with our heads, which a part of me almost thought could have been Dane messing with my head too, but I think I was always a bit hesitant to get angry at Dane. After all, he was new to the psychic thing, and was playing with his power in the safest way he could...but still...not so fun.

I slept rather restlessly, I think in part due to sleeping next to Chloe. She was dreaming, and feeling instense emotions as she did. I was feeling everything she was and it was creeping me out a little bit, so I could only imagine how she felt. In the end I had to get up and go for a walk just to have my head be my own for a bit...

1 comment:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Interesting. Hadn't considered the possibility that Dane could be evil before... and in the present day has mind tricked the others into trusting him (although I don't think that's where you're going). Nice chapter.