Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Psychic Schoolkids Pt2

The next day I arrived at school early. I know this sounds like an odd concept, but Dane, Chloe and myself had developed a habit of getting to school that little bit early to catch up before we rushed into the school day. Dane and I had a lot of classes together, so although we had a lot of together-time Chloe chose different subjects, so with the exception of odd spares and breaks, we didn’t get to see each other a lot during the day. And of course when you get a bunch of psychics together, there’s always bound to be a lot of gossip.

When I rocked in at 8.15, well before even the most dedicated of students or the earliest of buses had arrived, Chloe and Dane were both sitting in the Atrium in anticipation. Clearly they both had their shares of gossip prepared.

“Okay I’m late. Catch me up.” I said as I threw my bag down and slid into a chair.

I turned to Chloe first, expecting her to talk first, she was worried. More than she should be I felt. But surprisingly Dane spoke first. He was more proud of himself than anything else, which is probably a good sign.

“Our ice-girl’s name is Emily.” He said. “In between the crying last night it seems like she’s never done any kind of snow cone tricks up until yesterday. Another newbie...like me.”

“She’s trouble though.” Chloe said. “She’s not like us, poking about in people’s heads or time. She can hurt people, and clearly she has no idea what she’s doing.”

“I put walls up in her head.” Dane said. “She was afraid, and her fear was generating the cold. I stopped her being as afraid. So when she left last night she was only radiating a minor chill. The walls I put in her mind will hold for days though, until she gets a bit better grip on what she’s doing and thaws out.”

“Because your walls are perfect?” Chloe raised an eyebrow.

Dane sat up from the slouch in his chair. “They’re always accurate at least. Not sending us off on wild goose chases or telling us people have powers when they don’t...”

And with that I felt Chloe flare up next to me. It’s very discomforting sitting next to angry people, especially people like Chloe whose anger burns like a bonfire.

“Okay Chloe. No.” I said, restraining her from beating Dane over the head and trying to force her back into her seat. “Dane. I’m sure we’ve had this talk. We do not allocate blame over Chris. Otherwise we have to talk about how everyone screwed up. So let’s get back to ice-girl.”

“Emily. She has a name” Dane said, fuming with guilt and annoyance all at the same time.

“Sorry. Emily.” I turned to Chloe. “Did you see anything last night?”

Chloe’s anger dissipated as I asked that. The worry was back. She closed her eyes to try and remember.

“There was fire. Lots of fire. There was a big chalk circle in the middle of the atrium filled with blood. Lot of blood. There was a girl in a yellow dress. There was a kid with cuts all over his in the locker room. I’m not sure if he was dead or not. There was a clock displaying 11:52.There was a woman in hospital, covered in bandages. And there was that Emily chick standing in a room where everything was covered in ice. Oh and there was lots of death.”

“Lots of death?” Dane asked before I had the chance to.

“It’s hard to explain. In dreams things aren’t quite as clear, they’re more symbolic or pictures of what’s going to happen. The death wasn’t so much people dying as...there being a presence of death. Like ghosts but even then not quite...”

“Wow....vague.” Dane scoffed.

“Well if you want me to be not vague about the future you’re going to have a black eye at the rate you’re going.” Chloe threatened. “But I know it’s nothing helpful, but there’s a lot there and it’s all not quite connected but at the same time it is. I don’t even know the order it happens in, but one thing that was totally clear was Emily in a frozen room. I couldn’t see if there was anyone else there but if she freezes a classroom and someone else was in there...”

“...it wouldn’t be pretty.” I finished for her. “Okay so Dane, you’ve actually had a conversation with this girl. You need to keep an eye on her. We can point her out to Chloe and between the three of us we can keep an eye on her.”

“We shouldn’t need to, her freezing seems tied to her emotions, and I’ve held back most of the emotions strong enough to stop her doing anything that large-scale.” Dane objected.

“You stopped her feeling strong emotions? Is that even ethical?” Chloe said from next to me. Dane and I ignored her.

“Okay well you seem to like her, so be friends with her anyway. Keep an eye on the walls in her head just in case, because I don’t want to be a Snow-Jacob. Maybe even try to help her keep a handle on her powers, since Chloe may be right in that we don’t want to stop her from feeling emotions for the rest of her life.”

“She’ll get the hang of it. I mean I did.” Dane said as he fiddled with the tie around his neck, loosening it.

Next to me Chloe gave a cough that sounded oddly like Chris, and I tried to suppress a laugh. After having a little giggle to herself, Chloe regained her serious face.
“Well I’m going to look into this blood and fire and death. Since I don’t like any of it. Plus I had to do babysitting duty for the newbie last time, it’s a terrible job.”

“On behalf of that newbie hey!” Dane said from across the table. I could tell from where I sat he was nervous about having to keep an eye on Emily. Whether he was going to admit it or not, he knew that if he was wrong people could get hurt. More importantly, he knew that he could be one of those people getting hurt.

“Although I don’t know why we need to do this all the time Jacob.” Chloe said looking at me. “I mean we’re not the only people in this school who can do things, and we’re not the only ones who know either.”

“Yeah ‘cause Lisa and Kara are going to help us with anything.” Dane said with mock laughter.

“I know, it sucks. But we’re probably in the better position to help ice-girl-“

“Emily.” Dane interjected.

“- with her power” I kept going through the interruption. “Plus it could be handy come summer. No more melting ice-creams.”

1 comment:

Dale said...

with great power comes great responsibility?