Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Psychic Schoolkids pt8

Of all the terrible things...Tarot Cards.

I mean, they work. Chloe used them once and was quite successful. But that's different, she can see the future. But when your average person comes up to me with a deck of cards and tries to tell me what's in store for my week I regard them with considerable skepticism.

Yet there Sarah was, sitting with Dane and myself shuffling her cards.

"I have to shuffle them myself." She explained to Dane. "And if anyone else touches them their energy makes the cards go wacko and they won't work for me."

I tried not to make the rolling my eyes visible. Sarah was...smitten. It was odd, feeling her attraction to Dane across the table. It make me feel like a third wheel. Dane seemed nowhere near as frustrated with Sarah as I was, which I think make me even more annoyed at her.

Sarah was in the year level below us, and for some reason had taken a liking to Dane, which meant I had the unfortunate pleasure of spending quality time with her as she told Dane of her magical wiccan adventures once a week while I try not to sneer. Last week she was telling us how she was astrally projecting around her house...which was a headache and a half. I could avoid her completely, but the side-effect to that would be avoiding Dane as well.

Thankfully, someone was answering my prayers and Chloe came over to me. It had been a few weeks since our first date, and there had been a second date in there too. It was nice to have Chloe to rely on as more than a friend. She sat down next to me and looked at Sarah's cards with the same skepticism I had.

Sarah dealt the cards out onto the table.

"Hermit, Magician, Moon." Chloe whispered in my ear.

"Well now you've ruined the fun." I said to her.

"The hermit." Sarah said, turning over the first card. Dane looked on, interested.

"Oh god do I have to listen to her mangle interpretations and try to predict the future again?" Chloe whispered. "I could predict the future more accurately with a tea cosy than she can with a deck of cards."

"Remind me to get you a tea cosy next time I want the answers to a maths exam."

"The magician." Sarah turned over the next card.

"Okay bored now." Chloe said, loud enough for Sarah to hear.

"Excuse me? I'm trying to read the future here." Sarah said.

"Okay well here's a hint, it doesn't involve hermits, or magicians, and definitely not the moon. It involves blood. And a dead body, and circles."

"It always involves hermits and magicians...but clearly you haven't met the shaman." She turned over the last card. "And just you wait until the full moon..." She didn't even comment on Chloe's ability to predict the card.

"Woah...girls...chill." Dane tried to intervene.

"It's okay Dane, I can deal with Chloe's negative energy." Sarah said.

"And I can deal with Chloe's attempts and the future. There are no werewolves, we will be fine during the full moon, and I think we'll be even better off without Miss Teen Wicca here ruining my lunch break." Chloe stood up so she was standing over Sarah

"Noone is making you sit here!" Sarah said, gathering up her cards

"My friends are here...why are you here?" Chloe said.

"I don't know, obviously I'm not welcome!" Sarah stormed off in a far too dramatic fashion. Her feelings werent even hurt by her argument with Chloe. Dane however, was annoyed. He stood up and followed Sarah away.

********

"Sarah asked me out."

We were sitting in Psych class, a few hours after Chloe had made the world a better place by reminding Sarah she was not a psychic.

"Oh." Was the best I could reply with. This was a situation I had expected to deal with. Dane had been the class loser when I met him, and so the concept of him dating was one I hadn't anticipated. There were times when I envied Chloe.

"I haven't answered yet." Dane added. "I'm not sure what to do. I mean, I haven't dated a girl before. And I know that Sarah has...and...I don't know what to do."

"Well if you're not sure, isn't that a sign to say no?" I offered.

"I know, but....girls don't ask me out a lot...or...at all. How do I react to that? I mean what if I say no and every other girl in school thinks I'm not dating and then I never get a date?"

"Woah...I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. But is 'because she asked' the right reason to date a girl? Shouldn't you date a girl because you actually like her?"

"...that's an odd concept."

"I know, but it's one that, like flossing, you should try out some time. I mean, if you use Sarah as a last...or possibly first resort, you might have fun, but you'll end up hurting here. But if you actually like the girl...I say go for it."

I think Dane was confused still, but the idea of dating was still kinda new to him - hell it was still new to me, being a whole two dates ahead of him....

2 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Jacob *thinks* Dane was still confused? Isn't his power that he can read people's emotions? :p

I'm being picky I know! Still reading, still liking.

Luke! said...

Haha nice going Luke.. :P

I liked it, but I felt there needed to be more action. I'm an action crazed person though...