Thursday, December 11, 2008

Psychic Schoolkids Pt4

Okay so I'm updating a lot eh? I don't expect an update over the weekend...but that may change. I am doing far too much dialogue in this story so if it seems lame or like my characters are doing nothing but standing around babbling and not revealing anything...let me know.

I think I must have looked physically in pain when I saw Lisa. That’s possibly because I was. After the pain and fear and all the shit running through my head after the explosion, the last thing I needed was a hopped up healer slinging her anger at me.

“What. Did. You. Do.” Lisa poked me in the chest with the accusation.

“Umm...maybe you don’t want to jump to a conclusion until you know some of the facts?” I suggested.

“Something has gone wrong. People are hurt. Again. You three think you’re using your powers to help people by interfering in other people’s lives and you’re making a mess because you have no idea what you or anyone else is capable of. No idea.” Lisa ranted. Her head was full of just as much stress and fear as there was anger.

“Umm Lisa. Look at Dane’s hands.” Kara suggested from behind Lisa. Kara was totally calm.

As far as we knew, Kara didn’t have any sort of power. She was as normal as a teenage girl can be. But she has been friends with Lisa and Chloe since childhood, and she had was calm at the worst of times to remind both of them to think clearly, and stop before they threw things at each other. Although she wasn’t always able to avoid the conflict lately.

“They’re burnt.” Lisa stated, looking at Dane and the pain on his face. “This is what happens when you mess around with these powers.”

“Do you maybe want to help then?” Chloe asked. “Or does God not want you to heal the man who is in front of you in pain?”

The slap was loud enough that the noise lingered for several seconds. I winced in the pain that Chloe felt.

“Do not mock my faith. God has given me a power, and I use it responsibly. I don’t play around with other people’s minds.” She looked at me and Dane. “Or their futures.” She turned to Chloe. “More importantly, when I use my powers...” She grabbed Dane’s hands. She took her hands away seconds later, and the burns were totally gone. A handy power to have. “...I use them properly. No one gets hurt, in fact the opposite. I just hope that you realise that no good can come from your powers before someone gets killed. Now if you will give this girl to me, I will take help her and get her to the sick bay in a better condition than you could get her.”

By now Emily was almost fully conscious, which was not necessarily a good thing. Lisa put her hands on her shoulders and began to lead her away. I could feel Lisa’s concentration as she tried to heal the burns Emily had inflicted upon herself. I then felt a stress from next to me, from Chloe, and a second later from Dane. By the time I connected the dots it was too late for anything to be stopped.

Lisa pulled her hands back in a hurry, in pain as Emily collapsed to the ground again, heat searing through her body with the pain of the fall. Dane looked at Chloe and I in fear. Kara was the one that spoke though.

“Dane, what have you done to her. I know you, and I know you’ll have put some kind of walls in her mind.” She said with total confidence.

“Of course he has. Dane sees a mind and he breaks it.” Lisa snarled as she tried to heal her own hands.

“I...I..minimised her fear. It was causing her to freeze things. I don’t understand why she’s burning up now.”

“It’s balance.” Kara said.

I then understood it. Chloe’s power wasn’t to freeze things, that much was obvious. It was to affect temperatures. When we had blocked the cold part of her emotions, the heat was always in control.

“Dane. You need to take away all your walls.” I ordered.

Dane obviously hadn’t caught up with what was happening, I felt the confusion.

“Don’t argue. The walls there aren’t letting her body regulate the temperature Emily is making. If you put more walls up...they will just break. You need to take all the walls down, and we need to help Emily deal with her emotions so she can control things.” I explained.

“Which is what you should have done in the first place.” Lisa stood up and walked towards us as Dane rushed over to place his hands on Emily’s head. The pain was distracting. “You think your powers are always the first solution here? You read emotions. Help someone deal with them, don’t just get Dane to block them away.”

Lisa grabbed Dane’s hands as soon as he had taken them off Emily. I was standing close enough to her that I could feel the heat fading. Once she had done her thing she stormed off, leaving Kara standing with the four of us.

“You know she’s right Jacob.” Kara said. “I know she says it in a mean way, but she’s kind of right.”

“What would you know about our powers Kara?” Chloe said from next to me.

I didn’t need to be an empath to tell that Kara was hurt.

“I know enough that this is three times someone has gotten hurt because you think you can see everything...when you spend so much time seeing a minute into the future to mess with someone’s head that you don’t notice the world falling down.”

“That’s not true!” Chloe tried to protest.

“Then what was the last thing you saw before the explosion? Because I would think that if you’re any good at being a seer you’d notice explosions before they happen...not after.”

With that, Kara turned and walked off as well. I didn’t let her get away so easily and ran after her, leaving Dane and Chloe to finally get a stricken Emily into the sick bay.

“Kara!” I called after her until she turned around.

“What do you want Jacob?”

“You to actually have a civil conversation with me and Chloe again.”

“I’d love to. But things have changed.” Kara sighed. “People got hurt. People I cared about and people you should have cared about enough to help them.”

“I did help Chris..”

“Once the damage was done. I know you had no idea what Dane and Chloe were going to do. But they look up to you, especially Dane. Even now they will do things if you ask them. You need to make the right decisions, or not make decisions at all.” Kara began to walk away again, and I put a hand on her shoulder to stop her.

“How do I know what’s the right decision? If you’d have felt how afraid Chloe was about Chris, about what he could do..”

“And she was wrong. Now I’m alone because of it. Except for Lisa. She might be stubborn and religious but she knows the damage she can do and is afraid of her power because of it! And I know that she will have my back. Without question. Always. She won’t be the one distracting me with childish conversations like Chloe did.” I felt Kara approaching tears. It broke my heart....

“But...” I tried to defend myself, but nothing came of it.

“I know you try to do good, and I know its gone wrong. This Emily girl needs your help, whether Lisa will admit it or not. And not Chloe’s help and especially not Dane’s help. Yours. Like all of you when she loses control of her emotions her power will probably go crazy, but unlike the rest of you if she loses control people will get hurt. Keep an eye on her and try to make sure she stays in control.”

The bell rang. Lunch had started and kids began to pour out of the classrooms. I stood there and watched as Kara walked away from me. Filled with sadness and regret that only added to what I felt...

2 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Well, I'm still liking it - it hasn't been all talking as there's been action too. Think you've done a good job of introducing the characters while going start into action. Plus I'm liking how you hint at the backstory through dialogue as opposed to having the main character go: Five months back, this and this happened. Hmm, did they make sense? If not, in short, I like it.

Andew said...

Yeah I'm actually trying to obey the "show don't tell" rule...although I suppose all the characters are kinda telling. I think at some point I will go "well 5 months ago this is what happened"...but until then I'll just keep hinting. I don't exactly have much of a plan here lol